Travel Ban: CUPP, PDP cry foul as Buhari hits 50 high-profile Nigerians

Filed in Local News by on October 13, 2018 0 Comments

– PDP alleges that the travel ban was a ploy to intimidate its members and supporters ahead of 2019 election

– The party claimed the law was not duly followed in the announcement of the travel ban

– CUPP says the Presidency should have waited for the outcome of the appeal court case challenging the High Court ruling which declared the Executive Order 6 as valid

The main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the political group Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) have condemned the travel ban slapped on 50 high-profile Nigerians by President Muhammadu Buhari.

In separate statements released on Saturday, October 13 shortly after Presidency announced the bans through spokesman Garba Shehu, PDP and CUPP expressed worries over the move.

Nigerian Tribune reports that the PDP statement signed by its national spokesman Kola Ologbondiyan accused the APC of trying to intimidate the opposition ahead of 2019.

READ ALSO: Obasanjo chides Buhari for not signing African trade agreement

The party said it hoped the move was not “a ploy to harm certain eminent Nigerians on the claims of resisting travel restrictions” and alleged that the Buhari administration reportedly made the move “without recourse to due process of the law.”

In its own statement made available to newsmen in Abuja on Saturday night by the first national spokesman of the CUPP Hon Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere‎, the coalition also decried the move.

It noted that President Buhari should have waited for the pending appeal court decision on the validity of the Executive Order 6 under which the travel bans were issued.

It hoped the Appeal Court would quash the Executive Order 6.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The statement read in part: “the court of Appeal, we hope will deal a decisive blow on this dictatorial Order and consign it to the dustbin of history where it rightfully belongs”.

NAIJ.com had reported earlier that the Presidency on Saturday afternoon announced the placement of 50 high-profile Nigerians on travelling ban.

The identities of the individuals were not disclosed.

But according to a statement from the presidency, those on watch list include Nigerians with assets valued at N50million and above who are subject of corruption investigation and litigation.

The statement was signed by presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu

How should convicted looters be punished? – on NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

About the Author ()

CO – CEO – Codepub Nigeria Follow Me On Facebook Page, Following Us on Instagram I’m a passionate programmer and blogger living in UYO, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. I love to share educational news happenings from various sources around the world . I join in creating Wupublicisenaija to serve as a platform of sharing quality, credible and dependable information regarding various happenings in Nigerian Universities and beyond.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *